18 January, 2016

Review - Steelheart (Reckoners #1) by Brandon Sanderson [and Update]


Steelheart (Reckoners, #1)


So I've been quiet of late and there are a number of reasons for that. First, I tend to be lazy in general, so that's not gonna help anything. Second, we just had a baby in November, which was preceded by buying and moving into a new house in October and followed by a change of jobs (really firms, same job) in December. I'm worn out to say the least.

I've found, and this is usually around 2-4 a.m. holding a screaming child who is so tired she refuses to sleep (which of course makes perfect sense), that I can't really handle a really complicated novel at the moment. I need something light, fast, and 100% fun. I've found a couple that hit the nail on that head and Steelheart is one of those.

Steelheart was a blast from the very first page. It's hard to draw someone in that quickly and Sanderson does it here. That opening scene is great and the whole concept behind superpowers being used solely for evil is just brilliant. The Reckoners has a great start and I can't wait to keep reading to see how this pans out. I'm already so invested in these characters, I don't even really know how that happened.

4 out of 5 Stars (highly recommended)

P.s. Yes, I'm leaving you with this short, crappy review. But no fear, there will be more short, crappy reviews to come (as if "crappy" only describes these types of reviews).

11 comments:

Neth said...

Ahhh....I know these reviews well. It's about all I can manage lately as well. I call them mini-reviews, but I like the greater honesty of you naming them short crappy reviews.

Bryce L. said...

Haha, yes! Somehow life went from busy-manageable (and therefore bloggable) to busy-where-does-the-sleep-come-in and so we find ourselves here. :) At least your min-reviews still have substance, mine's barely words on a page.

Stuart Flynn said...

Busy times! Understand perfectly. Mini-reviews are fine, btw. Even micro-reviews...

Anonymous said...

I actually thought this was the best book I read last year :)

Wolf DeVoon said...

My daughter is 14 now, all grown up sort of, and I remember her in my arms when she was a baby. Danced her to sleep each night with Steely Dan and Styx, simple rhythms I must have played 200 times.

Tough time with new Mom just after her baby is born. Don't worry. She'll lighten up again in a couple months. Best to both of you.

Look at Ford Powerstroke Injectors said...

EXCELLENT book, for anyone of any age. Fascinating system of magic, as in any Sanderson book. I read it as a 24 year old and loved it, and, when I taught a creative writing program, one of my 5th gr

Buy Contact Lenses said...

I really appreciate your professional approach. These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

Lady of the Cauldron said...

Can't wait to read it!

Asbestos Lawyer Philadelphia said...

Well that was one hell of a ride. This is my first time reading a book by Sanderson, and I do not know why I waited so long. This book was amazing.

App Development Company Delhi said...

I definitely comply with some points that you just have mentioned on this post. I appreciate that you just have shared some reliable recommendations on this review.

I found the best Houston Asbestos Lawyer said...

This book was AWESOME! But nothing less than what I'd expect from Brandon Sanderson. Just, he is amazing at genres other than epic fantasy. In fact, I think writing action is one of his strengths.