25 November, 2013

Guest Post: On Kurt Vonnegut's Short Story 2BR02B Film in the Making

If you've followed this blog for any period of time, you may have realized my fascination (read borderline obsession) with Kurt Vonnegut. The Sirens of Titan is one of my all-time favorite books and my introduction to this mad genius. His short stories can be hit or miss I'll admit, but when they hit they're genius. Read Harrison Bergeron (found in the Welcome to the Monkey House collection) immediately to find out. 2BR02B (pronounced "To Be Or Not To Be") is another one of the hits.


Thus, you can imagine my excitement that it is being turned into a film with none other than Paul Giamatti starring.  I know, from the stats, that there are plenty of Vonnegut fans who check out this blog so I figured there might be a few people as excited as I am. They've assembled an all-star team and put together an Indiegogo campaign to obtain funding. For more information, see this intro video:


I was contacted by the screenwriter and producer of the project, Derek Ryan, and I am happy to do what I can to promote, let's be honest, pretty much anything Vonnegut. Here's are Ryan's own words about Vonnegut and this film project he's currently working on:

-------------------

2BR02B and I met by chance one dark night on the internet. It was a steamy encounter, and I was immediately enraptured by the weaving tale of one Father’s choice when confronted with his “perfect” society’s ugly underside. It’s basically about starting a family, and what sacrifices you have to make when starting that family. Though, in our case, it’s taken a little bit to the extreme. Guns are involved, Gas Chambers are invoked. People die. When your world has a one-in one-out policy in regards to global population, family planning becomes very important. You don’t want to be the guy that has to show up to the hospital and tell the Doctor you don’t have the necessary person to die, and then he says your kid won’t be allowed to live. It can’t be good for your marriage. Nobody wants that conversation.


So, saying that, I immediately recognized the potential of this project to be turned into a film. Since Kurt Vonnegut is such a masterful storyteller, everything I needed was right there. Adapting for the screen was no great challenge, and the story is so strong. A lot of Sci-Fi is empty guns, and space ships, and so on. With this piece, it’s a real emotional ride. It’s dark. It asks questions. Plus, it has some kick ass Sci-Fi gimmicks that we all know and love. 

It really has been an amazing experience adapting this story though. I’ve learned a lot about Kurt Vonnegut, and a lot about population. Did you know he named Slaughterhouse-5 after the freezer he stayed in as a POW in Dresden? He was the only one who could speak German, and had to translate for all of the other Prisoners. For me, growing up without war, I can never relate to that.

But anyways, to the point. Do you guys want to see this film or what?! It’s going to be great. It’s funny, it has amazing Art (Check our fb page for more on that), and it’s just a damn good story! Plus on top of all of that, we get to shoot Paul Giamatti in the face, and I get to make my dream come true, and prove to my High School teachers that I made myself into something. Help make it happen Folks. We want to get a lot of small contributions, so anything that you can get towards us will go a long way. It might mean the difference between feeding me canned beans, or a subway sandwich. Nobody wants somebody eating beans on a film set. The sound guys hate it.

Here is our page -- http://bit.ly/1bCjYXB

-------------------

Make sure to download the 2BR02B short story for free on Kindle, or check out the Indiegogo page for this project for a link to free reading online. It's well worth your time.

0 comments: