07 January, 2013

2012 In Review - Stats and Top 5 Non-2012 Releases

When I was little, I obsessed over my collection of Marvel trading cards. Outside of trading and collecting, I'd read the backs of everyone and knew by heart the statistics (stamina, agility, energy projection!, etc.) of every character, hero or villain. One of the things that got me into the science fiction and fantasy community, besides figuring out when George's next book would come out, was looking at top 10 and top 100 lists and trying to read through them or at least collect books to read. I still can't get enough of lists and stats, whether my own or from other sources, I just hope they're somewhat interesting to you.

With that, here are some of my 2012 stats and following those are my Top 5 Books read in 2012 that were released prior to that time:

Books read in total: 52
Fantasy: 22
Science Fiction: 6
Urban Fantasy: 13
Audiobook: 11
eBook: 18
Paper: 23
Female authors: 9
ARC's and Review Copies read: 19
Series' started in 2012: 7
Series' completed in 2012: 2 (Shadow Saga and Macht Trilogy)

The main thing that surprised me was how many books that can be considered Urban Fantasy fell in that list. I think Bastard would be proud. :) I counted books like The Hollow City, The Thirteen Hallows, and Legion alongside books like Unclean Spirits and the Demon Squad books, which are more obviously UF.

The last list I put together was of my favorite 2012 releases, but outside of 2012 releases I read an incredible amount of really good books. I warned you in that post I'd have another list and here it is:

Top 5 of 2012 (Non-2012 Releases)

5. Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time #6) by Robert Jordan [review]

I really did enjoy this installment in The Wheel of Time. Not my favorite in the series, but I really enjoyed all the intricacies and additions to the incredible world Jordan created.
4. Acacia (Acacia #1) [review] and The Other Lands (Acacia #2) [review] by David Anthony Durham

If you're dying for something to read while we wait for George, Acacia just may be the perfect interlude. I can't believe how close I was to passing on this series, what a huge mistake that would have been. Acacia is exactly the kind of epic fantasy I love.
3. The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light and Shadow #1) by Janny Wurts [review]

If you want a challenge along the lines of Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, in the sense that you need to be ready to apply yourself fully, that will having you living and breathing in another world altogether, you're in for a treat. While not everyone will connect with The Curse of the Mistwraith, those who do will really have a truly powerful experience.
2. Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower #4) by Stephen King [review]

If you haven't read The Dark Tower series, you're in for a treat. What? I'm the last person to do so? Well, I love it. I don't reread books much, but I will definitely do so once I'm done. This series is epic and tragic in every sense of each word. You will not regret it.
1. Blade of Tyshalle (Acts of Caine #2) by Matthew Woodring Stover [review]

As bloody and brilliant as you would expect from the awesomeness that was Heroes Die and yet Blade of Tyshalle takes everything up a notch. Action-packed mayhem and ideas that make you think? Yes, you can have it all. Bloody brilliant.

2 comments:

Bob/Sally said...

I'm woefully behind on the Wars of Light and Shadow, but it is an amazing series. You're right, though, it does demand a certain level of commitment.

Acacia is a series I've been meaning to read for a while now. Hopefully I can slip it into my plans for 2013.

Bryce L. said...

I was really impressed with Acacia so I hope you do. I still need to read the conclusion, which I've kinda been waiting for a good time to do it. It deserves some undivided time. :)

And yes, I'm still behind on WoLaS, but I've got plans to get the next one in the reading pile very soon.