08 February, 2012

Review - Demon Squad: At the Gates by Tim Marquitz

God and the devil have called it quits and walked away. Angels and Demons are still around but don't really have any direction, leaving plenty of room for those who want power to go and take it. Thus enters our favorite nephew of Lucifer, Frank Trigg (don't call him Triggaltheron).

At the Gates [US] [UK] [Kindle] is book three in the Demon Squad series so check out Armageddon Bound (DS, Book 1) and Resurrection (DS, Book 2) before you read any further. There is also a short story, Betrayal, which is the perfect lead into At the Gates and definitely worth your time as well.

The Demon Squad series keeps getting better and better and more and more epic. I can't get enough. I first compared this to Harry Dresden meets the movie Constantine and I think that's still a very fitting definition...minus the suit.

(I wish I had a cross/gun)

At the Gates finds us right back where Resurrection left off. Scarlett's been beaten to within an inch of life and Heaven has been all but overrun by the angel Gabriel and his cronies. The final stand is in Eden, but the problem is getting back to Heaven.

The Nephilim (half angel, half human), vampires, lycanthropes, and shape-changers have all joined the fight to add to the fun.

Because of the turmoil in Heaven, the destruction is also leaking onto Earth through the Fall, which are deadly storms that let loose what look like ashes that destroy everything in their path.

What I love about this series is that Frank is completely awesome, but he'd be the last to say that. In fact, he fully believes the world is in a bad way if it needs to depend on him. But it usually does.

I also love that Tim takes things, like the Fall, that you've heard about (well, let's not make any presumptions here) and makes them into a type of plot device. It's genius. He works things like this into this series all the time in a perfect amount allusion and explanation.

The Demon Squad series just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait for more, but I guess we have to wait till December. But, let's be honest, it's pretty quick as much as I want another Trigg dose now.

4.5 out of 5 Stars

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Lucky! I can't wait to get my hands on At the Gates. It sounds like the Demon Squad series just keeps getting better and better.

Bryce L. said...

It's so good. I'm dying for book 4, but december's not too far away and a year is actually a pretty quick turn around time for any author.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I need to get back to reading this series. I'm very curious to see where the series goes. And now even more so. Thanks!

Ryan said...

Yeah, Marquitz definitely seems capable of producing quality work in an extremely fan friendly time frame.