13 December, 2011

My New Kindle Touch

Yep, I've been talking about it so much lately, you probably didn't think it was going to happen... but you were wrong, I now have a Kindle Touch (cause it's my birthday). :)

I considered the Kindle Fire (as I mentioned here), but I already have a short enough attention span and more apps is the last thing I need. I also wanted something easier on my eyes than another computer screen.


So...I also found out it is WAY too easy to buy books for this thing. I blew $20 bucks in about 5 minutes, not even counting the 5 or 6 free copies I downloaded.

I also found out that while it says it can view .pdf's (and it does), it's pretty crappy. You can view the document, but the size is completely off. You do have the ability to zoom in, but then you have to keep scrolling across the screen to read the rest of each sentence.

Luckily I found a nice converter from any document type to any other document type (pretty much) and all online, there's nothing to download other than the file you converted.

10 comments:

Ryan said...

Happy birthday dude. That is a nifty gifty! Enjoy.

Antonakis said...

Happy birthday! That was a good choice over Kindle Fire, I'm completely certain that you will enjoy it much much more! I also have a similar e-reader (Kobo Touch) since august and I looooove it! It as increased and helped my reading by quite a lot.
As for PDFs, well yes, unfortunately that's a general problem with this type of file on this kind of screen so it's not really worth it.
So can I hope that next year you'll give yourself a short photograhy course as a birthday present? ;) :p

ediFanoB said...

Happy Birthday Bryce.
Welcome to the world of ereader.

My wife and I are happy with our Sony PRS-T1.

Bibliotropic said...

Awesome gift!

Yeah, it's definitely great that Kindles support .pdf files, but I hate the tiny size of the print on them. The only way I found to make them remotely legible was to switch the display to have all the text bolded, which makes it a little clearer and doesn't make you scroll every time you want to read a line. It still leaves the text nearly impossibly tiny, but it's better than nothing.

Of course, that was before I found Calibre as a free e-book converter, and I haven't looked back since. Now all the .pdfs I had on it have been converted and are much easier to read!

Yagiz said...

Happy Birthday dude!

Compulsive buying is seriously dangerous with an e-reader. :)

bloggeratf said...

Cool! When is your bday? I'm the 13th. Funny enough I got the Touch for my gf and she is loving it. Apparently the Fire has been getting some pretty bad reviews so be glad you didn't get that!

RaveAir said...

Happy birthday!

I have the same e-reader and I'm very content with it.

I think it's just the matter of time when you forget the .pdf format. You can easily buy .prc, .mobi and .epub e-books to you device. (With the Mobipocket Creation you can easily convert your .epub books to .mobi/.prc.)

Bryce L. said...

Thanks all, (it was yesterday Alec - also the 13th - how did we just realize this?) .

And yes, Antonakis, my wife would be very disappointed, she's a photographer, even offered to take the pic. :)

Converters are make happy. :)

SQT said...

Happy belated birthday. I love my Kindle. We actually have both a Nook Color and a regular Kindle floating around our house and I love them both for different reasons. The Kindle is great because you can read it anywhere-- I took mine to the beach and it really is fantastic in full sun. More and more digital ARC's are being made available in Kindle format now so I bet you'll be loaded up with more books than you can get to before you know it.

Bryce L. said...

Haha, so true. For some reason I have this idea that it will save me time, but you're making it seem like it will take more. :D