09 December, 2010

Review - Supernatural: The Unholy Cause by Joe Schreiber

I accepted this book a while back pretty much on a whim. I thought, Joe Schreiber seems to be a popular enough author and this might be interesting to check out him writing a tie-in novel.

The only problem is that I've never seen the show nor read a book in this series. But, while this is actually Supernatural book 5, I only missed a few references here and there and otherwise this was pretty stand-alone.

The cover itself probably should have turned me away from Supernatural: The Unholy Cause [US] [UK], but I'm glad I didn't stop there. As you can probably tell, I'm not a die hard fan of the series, I only just found out about it through the publishers, Titan books, but even with my limited knowledge, I was able to enjoy this book.

Because this is a tie-in novel for the show on The CW, I thought I'd do this review in the form of the only other show I've seen (due to my wife) on The CW... 90210.

"(Scene: The 90210ers are at school when the new kid shows up. He wants to fit in but doesn't quite know what to say and just happened to have read Supernatural: The Unholy Cause the night before.)

New kid (blurting out the first thing on his mind): So, have you ever heard of this Supernatural thing, it's kind of like the Dresden Files except the main people are much prettier...

Annie: Oh...um...I think I've like heard of the TV show like... Never heard of these Bresnan Files, is it like the X-Files?

Dixon: Yeah dude, that's like my favorite show and like I watch it all the time. It's about demons and ghosts and like all kinds of creepy cool stuff.

Naomi (the mean one): It's like the worst ever and you guys are all like dumb. Why would you like ever watch such trash?

New kid: Well, I technically didn't watch anything, I read the book by Joe Schreiber...um...like.

Annie, Dixon, Naomi (uncomprehending): A book? Sick... (all turn and walk away)"

You can now also tell that I don't know anything about 90210 either. :D

Like the "New kid" said, Supernatural: The Unholy Cause was a decent read that reminded me a lot of the Dresden Files, but with the pretty boys not getting beat up nearly as bad. It's fun and fast Urban Fantasy with religious themes of devils and angels and exorcisms running throughout.

I hadn't watched the show until after I read the book (not bad) or read a Supernatural book and I was able to keep up fine even though this is also technically book 5 in the series of tie-ins.

Recommended if you need something in between seasons or to hold you over until the next Dresden Files book comes out.

3.5 out of 5 Stars

2 comments:

bloggeratf said...

So I looked at the cover and was expecting a hilarious review. I wasn't disappointed.

I love how you combined two things you knew absolutely nothing about for your review. Priceless.

Bryce L. said...

Haha, I was thinking about this from the beginning and I had to do it. I'm glad you caught the subtle nuances. :D